About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

For those of you who may have missed it, there was a small storm that hit the eastern seaboard of the United States this weekend. My family and I are okay, all in one piece with no major damage. The storm hit Sunday so of course on Monday, it was time go to work.

Unfortunately, my path to work was terrifying, there were sinkholes in the road the size of office desks. My path home for the evening was not so clear so I stayed at a friend's house who happened to live near work. A decision was quickly made that dinner needed to occur so of course, there was some drinking. We went to Max's on Main and since my last few beers have been domestic, I managed to find an import that looked interesting and this one most certainly did not disappoint.


Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. This beer is vegan and, as seen on their website, brewed by Yorkshire, England's oldest brewery. The well they get their water from is still the original well used by the brewery from 1758. This information, along with fact that I generally enjoy stouts, made me very nearly giddy that the roads home were closed.


This beer, unlike others I have tried, did not disappoint. It poured nearly jet black with a thin, cream colored head that dissipated quickly. The smell was sweet with malt notes and the flavor matched with hints of dark chocolate. The finish had the chocolate lingering along with some hints of coffee. While it was $6 for the bottle, the price is about average for the area when the beer is an import and undoubtedly worth it. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone, even if you don't like stouts because the flavor was so smooth and so rich that it should be tried at least once if given the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment