About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fremont Brewery

My trip to the Seattle area was phenomenal. The people are fantastic and incredibly friendly. Anyone and everyone will start up a conversation with you. This, in addition to the wonderful beer, was part of the appeal of the Fremont Brewery. It was recommended by a friend of my cousin's, who I was visiting this weekend, but she had never been herself either. Both of us were very impressed.

While we didn't take a tour of the brewery, we arrived during the hours in which they hold their Beer Garden. As you can see from the picture above, they have a long bench table set up with planks of wood propped up on used kegs. You can purchase beer by either draft, growler, keg or bottle. Growlers, however, need to be taken with you as there is a sign asking you do not drink them on the premises. The place was packed when we arrived and there was no room for us to sit but people moved in and out fairly quickly so don't let this discourage you if come and this happens to you. Plus, you can always get a beer while you wait like we did.
Photo taken at the end of the evening, it was much more crowded when we arrived

I asked the bartender what his favorite was because I'm trying to be adventurous and he suggested either the Harvest Ale, which is a saison, that had just be put on draft that day, or the Interurban IPA. I chose the Harvest because I had never had that style of beer before and was eager to try it...and maybe a little because I'm still intimidated by IPAs

Held by my lovely assistant :)
The beer poured a beautiful golden color with very little white head. The head stuck around, clinging to the edge of the glass, the entire time I drank the beer. This beer was a bit of a challenge for me because I am unfamiliar with the style but I was able to figure out the different flavors all on my own. The beer had a faint apple smell to it which pleasantly combined with the hops. The taste was mildly hoppy but still had some of the fruit notes evident. Overall, I'd definitely agree with the bartenders' assessment of the beer coming out wonderfully.

Now, I know I normally only review the one beer, but I was so impressed with the Harvest Ale that I went back and purchased a sampler of the rest of the beers they were offering that evening. The beers offered on draft were Universale Pale Ale, Sister Imperial IPA, Wandering Wheat, Harvest Saison, and Interurban IPA from Fremont and Troll Porter from Hale's Ales as a guest tap.

From left to right: Universale Pale Ale, Hale's Troll Porter, Interurban IPA, Wandering Wheat, Sister Imperial IPA
The first one I tried was the Imperial IPA. It was gold in color with a thin white head. The smell was very crisp and almost piney. It smelled a bit like Christmas trees to me. I think I might just be unfamiliar with this style of beer though. It was intensely hoppy in its flavor which for me was a bit of a turn off but I'm still getting used to hoppy tasting beers. I could make out some citrus notes and the beer had a very crisp, clean finish.

The Sister Imperial IPA
The next one up was the Wandering Wheat which was rather refreshing to me after such a hoppy beer, but again, that's personal preference. The wheat was gold and cloudy in appearance with a thin white head. It had a very mild scent to it with mild wheat and bread notes. A very smooth beer, it had a sweet flavor to it and a nice clean finish. It had a citrus quality to it as well.

Wandering Wheat
The next beer I had was the Interurban IPA. The color was slightly darker than the Imperial IPA with a thin white head. Once again, all I could really smell was pine and hops but it was far milder than the Imperial IPA. The flavor had some citrus notes but also quite a bit of hops to me. It was more enjoyable than the Imperial but still not my favorite of the evening. The finish was clean and crisp and the flavor lingered just a little bit with some hops.
Interurban IPA

The next one on the list was the Universale Pale Ale. Now, I know in the picture above the Troll Porter would appear to be next in line but with all these hoppy beers I wanted a malty one to finish. But, alas, I digress. Visually, this beer was hard to tell apart from the Interurban IPA. They are similarly colored. The flavor, however, was a bit different. While still hoppy, this was a much more accessible beer to those of us who don't enjoy hops. It was citrusy with a mild hops flavor. It had a mild flavor lingering at the end but was very pleasant.

Universale Pale Ale
The final beer of the night was actually not from Fremont's Brewery but from another local Seattle brewery, Hale's Ales. This was their Troll Porter in nitro which is a style I'm growing to really enjoy. The beer poured near black in color with a light tan/beige head that stayed the length of the beer. The smell was coffee and very sweet malts. The taste was rich dark chocolate with some coffee notes. The beer was sweet but not overly so and very smooth with light carbonation due in part to the nitro.

Nitro Troll Porter
Overall, this outing was fantastic. Everything about the experience, the beer, the people, the atmosphere, made it truly enjoyable. The pricing was just right. The Harvest Ale was $4 for the pint with most beers running about the same. Each sampler glass of beer was a dollar which I thought to be more than reasonable. The growlers ran $8 for refills and I'm not sure how much it was to buy a growler from them (anyone with that information feel free to let me know!). I purchased a 22 oz. bottle of their Summer Solstice brew for $3.75 and I'm very excited to try it. For the first night out in the Seattle area, this brewery certainly set the bar very high.

Coming soon: Widmer Brother's Hefeweizen and Big Sky Brewing Co. Moose Drool

No comments:

Post a Comment