About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I know, I know. Two pale ales in a row. I promise this is just a coincidence. It was lying around the house and I figured since I've never tried it before, why not? What harm could possibly be done? It would seem that it has, in fact, officially made me a convert. I have started to truly enjoy hoppy beers. I don't know if it's long term but for now it is definitely a truism.

Tonight's selection is Sierra's Nevada's Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada got started in 1979. Their Pale Ale that I am reviewing is considered to be their most popular, and it's easy to see why. Their brewery is located in Chico, California.

A game of where's the arm perhaps?
In our house, Friday is traditionally pizza, beer and baseball night. Today, however, I would rather not discuss baseball and the pizza was rather unextraordinary. Plus this blog is about beer so I guess we should go with that anyway. The bottle design is beautiful and highly decorative. As I tend to pick out beers, even in my own home, based on this, this is a definite plus.

The bottle cap/opener arrangement brought to you by my dad (featured in this post's first picture)
The beer poured slightly darker than yesterday's Harpoon IPA but still a gold color. There was a reddish tint to it, giving the beer an almost strawberry blonde appearance. The head was thin and bright white. It dissipated quickly with the exception of a thin ring around the edge of the beer's surface. The beer had a rather floral smell to it with a strong citrus flavor to it. This was not quite as bitter, nor as strongly hoppy as the IPA but it's not supposed to be. It was a great beer to try even if it was carbonated like soda which is a little strong for a beer.

The flavor of the beer stuck around long after it was finished in a clean, hoppy finish. The price is a little high when you consider that it's a domestic beer. However, when you consider that it runs about the same price as Yuengling, it isn't too bad and it more than holds up against any other beer out there. It is thoroughly enjoyable and very refreshing, especially in the calm before the storm that is sure to be Hurricane Irene.

No comments:

Post a Comment