About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Monday, July 25, 2011

National Bohemian

Also on our trip to Baltimore, while my dad and I were at Camden Yard, an unusual mascot caught my eye.


Mustachioed cyclops?
Who was this one-eyed, mustachioed man and what was he selling, you may wonder. The answer was his name is Mr. Boh and he's selling a locally brewed Pilsener by the name of National Bohemian. National Bohemian is a domestic beer originally brewed by the National Brewing company right in Baltimore. Today, it is brewed by Miller in Eden, North Carolina and distributed by Pabst. The beer is still only distributed in the very local market of Maryland, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania and North and South Carolina. There is also a National Bohemian bar located inside Camden Yard. Needless to say, however, the uniqueness of the mascot was the only thing that was needed to get me to try this beer. 

They had a mascot walking around and everything!
The bar tender was very nice and also quite knowledgeable about the beer he was serving. He was patient with my tourist status and politely explained the proper way to order his beer. When asking for a National Bohemian, it's most correct to order it as a Natty-Boh, or just straight up Boh. The beer I was handed was light gold in color with very little head which was a stark difference from the beer I had earlier, Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale

Dad's elbow was in all my pictures of beer
The beer's appearance is reminiscent of other golden domestic beers you may be familiar with such as Budweiser or Coors. The taste, however, was quite a bit different. While it is a pilsener and many pilseners are on the bitter or hoppy end of things, I found this to be quite refreshing and lacking the usual bite. Some may find this disappointing but as I do not like hoppy beers, I found the change to be very enjoyable. Since I had the beer in a major league baseball stadium, the price I paid for it was greatly inflated at $7.50 for the glass pictured above. After doing a little research, I found that the 24 pack should run about $20. Overall, I would give this beer 3 mugs out of 5. It was a very good beer for the purpose it serves as an easily drinkable domestic beer and you cannot beat it for the price. I would consider it a must try if you're in the Baltimore area, if only for the history associated with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment