About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Harpoon IPA

Now I know what you're thinking. She doesn't like hoppy beers, why is she drinking an Indian pale ale? It was the special last night, to be honest, and I hadn't had it on tap before so I thought I'd give it another shot. A friend of mine and I went to Friday's for appetizers and drinks last night because I was being stubborn and wasn't hungry for real food.

I would like to say that I wasn't skeptical. I would like to say that I was terribly gung-ho about the opportunity to once again give hoppy beers another chance, but I wasn't. I was being cheap and it ended up being a pale ale. So I got it and was a bit hesitant but fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised by my own reaction.

This particular one was made by Harpoon Brewery. This brewery opened in 1986 and currently has two locations, Boston, MA and Windsor, VT. Their IPA is one of seven year round brews made by the company.  According to their website, their IPA is modeled after the original English IPA that was created to bring beer over to America in the unrefrigerated vessels available way back when.

Hops: Perhaps the former bane of my existence? 

I took a few sips, not really believing that I was enjoying this hoppy beer. Who was I? What was wrong with me? No matter what the question was, the answer always seem to come back to "It doesn't matter, this is delicious." The beer was hoppy, as IPAs are. It was a very light beer, that is to say it didn't feel like it was filling me up like some of the other beers I enjoy. The finish was clean though very bitter and hoppy in flavor. It lingered in the mouth much like the Hop Sun but dissipated much faster.  

As the picture shows, though not very well, the beer was very light gold and when poured from the draft it had a nice, bright, white head on it. The price was perfect for what we were doing at $4 for a pint but it was on special that night. I would undoubtedly drink this again, even if it wasn't on special. Does this make me a convert? Not necessarily. Does it make me want to try other hoppy beers and see how I like them? Absolutely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment