About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Shock Top Wheat IPA

A few weeks ago, my friends and I went out to celebrate my roommate moving in. We went to a local favorite, Junior's, for some food and a few drinks before really heading out for the night. Junior's has a great deal where they feature a brewery and put a few of their beers on special for the month. This month the brewery was Shock Top. The bottles of the Wheat IPA and Raspberry Wheat were the particular specials when we were there so I had the Wheat IPA.

I really have been getting into different IPAs lately, see the last few posts if you don't believe me. I think that, when done correctly, they are a very nice beer. I still have a hard time when the brewer has been too heavy handed with hops. I'm also a big fan of wheat beers. With how smooth they are and how generally refreshing they are, I find that they are among some of my favorite beers. The combination of the two was something to look forward to in my mind. 



I wasn't given a glass so I couldn't get a proper read on the color but I'm pretty sure it would be a solid gold color with some haze. There was a solid hop nose with a slight hint of citrus. The beer itself was a bit sweeter than I expected. It had a strong bready flavor to it as opposed to the hops that I was expecting considering it was an IPA. The finish was clean and pleasant. 

While it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, it was a good wheat beer. I'm not sure I would give it the credit of being a full IPA considering that it was lacking the hop flavor that I was expecting. Not as good as it could have been, but a good try nonetheless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment