About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Brooklyn Brewery Monster Ale

Now when I started this blog, I was determined to try as many different types of beers as possible. It wasn't going to matter to me how scary or intimidating the name was, I was going to try it. Lately, I know I've been slipping a bit on this but a beer I found on my last trip to the store seems to have upped the ante a bit. 
 Monster Ale is a barleywine style ale from the wonderful Brooklyn Brewery. It's a middle of the road barleywine as far as ABV goes coming in at a sound 10.1%. The strongest beer I'd had up to this point was Unibroue's La Fin du Monde at 9.0% ABV but this "monster" from Brooklyn was a horse of a different color.
The pour was a little disconcerting as no real head appeared but I think that may have been from a lack of a goblet to pour it into as well. The color was a dark gold and what head there was, was white. The nose was a  lot of whiskey notes but there was some fruit evident as well. The taste was strong. There was no mistaking that this beer was strong. It was still very pleasant, exactly like drinking a wine which, as its name suggests, makes it fairly perfectly named. The finish left you wanting more. I was disappointed when my glass was empty and as I only bought one bottle, I had no more Monster Ale. It was about $2 for the bottle but more than worth it. I would highly recommend this beer to people who like a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment