About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Gilded Otter Dusseldorf Altbier

My younger sister recently celebrated her twenty-first birthday. To help her celebrate, our family went out to dinner at the Gilded Otter. The recommendation came from a number of people and we were all looking forward to it. 

Places like the Otter seem to have an additional burden on them to not only provide quality beer but also quality food. This restaurant did not disappoint in either respect but as this is a blog about beer, I will stick to my beer selection for the evening. They have an impressive selection of beers considering they brew in house and it was difficult to pick out just one but I settled on the Dusselfdorf Altbier. The altbier is a brown ale, which is slowly becoming one of my favorite varieties of beer and promised to be different from the other two styles of brown ale I've reviewed. 


The beer, as seen above, was a brownish gold color and appeared with a thin head of white foam. The nose was a bit muted but had a healthy blend of both malt and hops. There were some notes of breadiness as well. The taste matched the nose in its balance of malt and hops. There was an overall sweetness to the beer that was very interesting and hard to place a real flavor to. The finish was a little bitter but not unpleasantly so. Overall, I was very impressed with this beer. 

My sister and my dad also had beers that I tried, though not nearly enough to write a review, and both were very good as well. My sister had the Clove Valley Pumpkin Ale and my dad had the Huguenot St. American Lager. At $6 a pint, the beer was reasonably priced for the atmosphere and I am most certainly looking forward to going back and trying more of their beers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment