About Me

My photo
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~Benjamin Franklin


A novice beer drinker exploring the many different beers of the world, one glass at a time.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Brouwerij Huyghe Delirium Tremmens

Happy Birthday to me!

Today, in celebration of my birthday, I wanted to get myself something special. While wandering around the local beer distributor in my town, I decided I wanted something with a cork on it. I also decided I wanted something that reeked of celebration with its label. Needless to say, Brouwerij Huyghe served that purpose with its dancing pink elephants on the label.

But how could you say no to dancing pink elephants
This brewery opened in 1654 located in Melle, Belgium. Unfortunately, Belgium is not on my planned stop during my trip to Europe this summer but perhaps I'll be able to visit someday. It's a family run company that has plenty of history in the area. This particular beer I bought was bottled around March 2010 so that puts it at more than a year and a half old. Perfect aging, in my book at least.

The beer poured a pale yellow with a bright white head that took the entire length of the beer to dissipate. The nose was very similar to champagne. It was very bright while being surprisingly mellow considering the ABV is supposed to be 8.5% ABV though it may have been a bit stronger when I got to it. The flavor of the beer was nice. It was well balanced with an almost champagne like quality to the flavor. There was a good citrus quality to it as well. The finish had a little bit of alcohol to it. The bottle ran me $10.49 for 25.9 ounces which is a little pricey but well worth it for my birthday.

Here's hoping you all celebrate yours in a similar manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment